22.3.08

Background Reasoning

I love to travel, and have done since I was born, and will do until the day I die. I will likely die travelling. That being said travel and moving somewhere different often share similar qualities. Consider is long-term travel. Instead of a week or a month, it's a year or two or...well more.
The difference of course with travelling and moving somewhere is what you invest. Money, of course is always laid down but that really isn't the important part, the important part is the time and energy you invest entering the new culture you have arrived to.
Most places you can be fooled into thinking there is nothing different but that is hardly ever true, the way you do your grocery shopping, the times the stores are open and the way you dress year round are all cultural differences even if you don't want to see them as such.
I chose to move to Spain, a combination of wanting to explore the world a bit more, and also I had a stated goal to improve my Spanish and become fluent (still working on that.)
Moving from Vancouver, Canada to Madrid, Spain it is quite evident there is some cultural acclimatization that must occur, not to mention making yourself understood in a new country and language.
Add to all this the fact that Spain is a highly bureaucratic nation, "Siempre falta un papel" (You are always missing a form.) is a national saying, and you have a lot of things to navigate. This becomes increasingly true if you want to do anything like buy a car, go to the local doctor, or be self-employed.
I have had the pleasure in my relatively short time here to want to accomplish these things and have, by myself. My Spanish is by no means great, it's probably not even good but it improves everyday as does my situation when I go out and do these things. Now, you can go and pay a "gestor" (person you can pay to do your official paperwork for you and just tell you to sign here and here) but I have found that as long as you know what you're doing it isn't that hard, and the information is out there.
The reason I felt like starting this site is simple. There is little to no information on moving and living in Spain for Canadians and Americans. There isn't even much information for European Union citizens wanting to move here, and nothing for young adults. The focus of all this information is tailored to the 20-30 year old bracket, as that is where I am and also because that is where I see the biggest gap of information.

No comments: